i view myself that way, and i've thought a lot about it for many years. But the trial does not allow any hiding from the stark reality of social and racial tensions. Much against the will of the comfortable Southern town, Trout's trial is a fair one, and he's sentenced to prison; but Trout is smart, wily, and resolute with a mad determination not to pay for something he doesn't consider to have been a crime--with the result that he bribes and blackmails his way out of jail, returning to the town as a living irritant to its inhabitants' consciences. What was the significance of the glass on the floor? Magazine Subscribers (How to Find Your Reader Number). 3. In this novel of social drama, a casual murder in the small Georgia town of Cotton Point just after World War II and the resulting court case cleave open the ugly divisions of race and class. Being inside the mind of a psychopath is a scary place to be. The opening chapter portends nothing good. It is a psychological thriller about a shocking crime. It was difficult not to become emotionally involved in this sombering story - I wanted to shoot the s.o.b. He has been a columnist for the Philadelphia Daily News and the Sacramento Bee, and has contributed to many magazines, including Esquire, Sports Illustrated, and Playboy. Not a novel where you can be sure of anything, except that Paris Trout – surly smalltown Georgia storekeeper and money-lender with “. And it is real literature; Dexter extremely well, (not like some other popular authors. The more I read it, the more I was disappointed, hoping for something profound, anything, but left with very little except a wish that I hadn't wasted three days with it. It took two tries to read this book. Should become a classic (hubby just now told me it was already a classic). Dexter was born in Michigan and raised in Georgia, Illinois, and eastern South Dakota. Paris Trout—a disheveled, miserly, eccentric, and amoral but nonetheless locally respectable hardware-store owner and loan shark—is the murderer; his victim is a 14-year-old black girl named Rosie Sayers, whom he kills in a shooting spree brought on by a black boy's failure to repay a loan. A modern classic well worth reading. Not a novel of neat and precise outcomes, and I like that too. If you are at all into Southern literature, I recommend this. That being said, the character portraits developed by Mr. Dexter are excellent and the tension increases throughout the book until the ending. Pre-publication book reviews and features keeping readers and industry Race plays a part in Paris Trout’s crime only in the sense that the society was cruel to its black population, which made it easier to assault a black person and walk away, but Paris Trout was much more than a racist, he was a monster and a threat to humanity in any form. influencers in the know since 1933. Paris Trout Book Summary and Study Guide Detailed plot synopsis reviews of Paris Trout Paris Trout is the owner of a store and bank for black citizens when he kills a fourteen-year old black girl in Cotton Point, Georgia. Reviewed in the United States on October 17, 2014, Reviewed in the United States on January 10, 2012. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Paris Trout (Contemporary American Fiction), Tango, Murder, and Money by the Bay: Rick and Florrie Dance, Bullets Fly, See all details for Paris Trout (Contemporary American Fiction), © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. This is a text that should be covered in schools. Reviewed in the United States on December 3, 2013, This was to the point book and left nothing out.It was about Mr Stembridge and how ruthless he was so mean it drive him, Reviewed in the United States on April 14, 2014. Fasten your seatbelt, and keep a baseball bat close. In a small Georgia town in the 1950s, Paris Trout, a bigoted store owner, kills a young black man's younger sister and wounds his mother when a car … And it is real literature, Reviewed in the United States on May 4, 2018. His lawyer has a difficult time convincing him he has done anything wrong and the reaction of much of the town reinforces Trout's feeling that he is being unfairly prosecuted. I don't know if likes people in general, and, given that he was once near-fatally pummeled by a bat-wielding mob of them, why should he? The reader can find no sympathetic side of him. But Trout grows madder: and, finally, urine-stained and utterly deluded. This is the first reading selection for my online backlist book club. I started this book reading the back and thinking it would be more about race relations, and racial identity in the south in the 50s. 2. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. We, In so many cases of Good vs. With a conviction that his estranged wife--a wonderful, stoical character by the name of Hannah Trout--is poisoning him, Trout holes up in the county courthouse during the town's sesquicentennial celebration and, having shot his stroke-ridden mother in the head (""I end my connections with everything that come before""), opens fire on the rest of his enemies: his lawyer, Harry Seagraves; his wife's divorce lawyer (""the youngest Eagle Scout in the history of the state""), and other local noteworthies and respectables. Authors often like the challenge, it seems, of opening our eyes to the reasons Evil does what it does. His lawyer has a difficult time convincing him he has done anything wrong and the reaction of much of the town reinforces. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. It's probably one of the most disturbing novels I've ever read, but I had to get to the end. All Rights Reserved. Makes no sense, I know. The … The more I read it, the more I was disappointed, hoping for something profound, anything, but left with very litt. The writers I enjoy most are men of few words. & a trout is a despicably delicious foodstuff, but slimy member of the undertow no less. You know there will be body parts and gore all over the tracks, but you can't look away. Reviewed in the United States on April 5, 2018. and shove a baseball bat, barrel first, up his arse - I loved it and would highly recommend. We’d love your help. Like Cormac McCarthy, Pete Dexter's prose has just as much to do with what is left unsaid, as with what has been spoken. Once the first chapter was over, I found it easier to go on. Trouble signing in? Paris Trout is such an amazingly well-written study of the human heart, it's almost difficult to remember that this is pure fiction. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, I recommend this. A gothic tale of murder, injustice, and mayhem in a small Georgia town at the end of WW II, by the hypnotically gifted author of God's Pocket (1983) and Deadwood (1986).

Rob Dyrdek Kids, Hatch Rest Plus Manual, Brendan Taylor Height, Budget Billing Gexa, Tomo Sushi Glassboro Menu, Mariette Mario, Captain America Waiting For The Right Partner,